Are you breathing shallow? It might be time to visit the doctor
About 1 in 13 Americans have asthma according to reports from CDC. Currently, there is no cure for the disease, but it is treatable and manageable. Today, almost 26 million people in the USA have asthma. Expert studies state that close to 11.5 million individuals who have asthma have at least one episode per year. In 2015, the average cost of treating asthma was $3,266 per person. With each passing year, the cost of treatment and management of the disease increases considerably.
Asthma: the symptoms, causes, and types
Asthma can be occupational, exercise-induced or allergic. Irrespective of the origin, the signs and symptoms are the same. It involves swelling and narrowing of the airways and the production of excess mucus. It often leads to –
- shortness of breath
- chest tightness or pain
People, especially children, might have difficulty sleeping due to discomfort.
Sometimes, asthma can become chronic. Do you experience breathlessness and wheezing attacks frequently? Do you feel the urge to use quick-relief inhalers often to end such episodes? Then you might be a victim of chronic asthma. Certain situations and external stimuli can cause a flare-up of asthma symptoms including exercising (especially in cold and dry weather), working in fumes or around irritants of the respiratory tract, the presence of pollen, mold spores, dust mites or pet dander.
When do you need to call your GP?
You should immediately seek medical assistance in the following cases –
- Worsening of wheezing or increasing shortness of breath
- Increasing pain in the chest due to breathing struggles
- No improvement of the condition upon the use of quick-relief inhalers
- Persistence of shortness of breath from minimal physical activity like climbing a flight of stairs
Asthma might not be curable, but it is entirely treatable. You can manage your condition effectively if you seek medical assistance in time. Most adults are scared about the surmounting costs of treatment that includes the prices of quick-relief inhalers. If you or your family members have asthma, you should check out the discounts on asthma prescriptions. Discount coupons on each purchase can save you a fortune within a year.
Why should you seek medical counsel?
There are several reasons asthma calls for expert counsel and advice. Here are a few you should consider before you make a decision –
- A flare-up can cause your loved ones to miss work or school.
- The symptoms interfere with restful sleep and daily work.
- Frequent incidents of asthma attacks can permanently narrow the bronchial tracts and affect how a person breathes for life.
- It can increase the frequency of emergency room visits and exacerbate the healthcare costs in the family.
- Some drugs people use for quick-relief have severe side-effects and require immediate replacement with sustainable and smart medication.
Not paying due attention to the signs and symptoms of the disease can cause long-term and short-term complications for all ages. If you or your loved ones show signs of asthma, seek medical assistance immediately. The presence of discounts and offers on pharmaceutical sites now makes it possible for anyone to opt for proper brand-name medications to breathe freely!